Second year at University of Padova: Thesis
Thesis work is identical at all five partner universities: 30 ECTS, external examiner. The dissertation must be research based, focussing on subjects related to the second year Universitys specialisation area (for Padova: Responsible forest resources management and responsible production and trade of forest products and services). Subject and research plan are decided by the student in collaboration with the supervisor. The thesis structure should follow the provided thesis template. The thesis must be written in English and defended at a public seminar. Evaluation is made by a commission (7-9 professors from the College of Agriculture, including the supervisor and/or the co-supervisor if necessary).
The thesis must present original research focussed on the tropics and can be one of five types:
- the acquisition and interpretation of new knowledge (through, for example, survey exercises on the market demand for responsible produced forest products; survey exercises for assessing the risk of timber coming from illegal logging activities in selected tropical countries);
- the re-organization or re-evaluation of old knowledge in a relevant context (including, for example, the assembly of data bases; comparison studies on import-export data of wooden-based products for analysing discrepancies; comparison studies among different standards for responsible management and production of forest products and services);
- the development, testing and refinement of information capture methodology (studies which focus on the elaboration of working procedures, including for example procedures for activities like certification of wild collections of non wood forest products);
- the generation of new case studies or manuals with direct or indirect applicability to the understanding of the responsible management, production and trade of forest products and services (including for example the assessment of the economic value of externalities like biodiversity protection or water quality improvement in tropical areas/sites);
- the critical, formal and analytical description of forest resources, production practices and marketing instruments characteristics or their development or management (including modelling concepts and relevant software development).